Pistachios are quickly becoming a staple in my kitchen for a quick healthy snack and an ingredient in baking and savory dishes. They are a tree nut like almonds, cashews and walnuts and are packed with mono-unsaturated fats, protein, vitamins and antioxidants. Did you know that pistachios yeild the most nuts per one ounce sering, you can eat about 49 nuts in comparision to about 23 for almonds, and all for only 160 calories! Pistachios contain a sweet and nutty flavor making them perfect in baked good and sweets. Their green color also make them a great addition to a holiday treat.
Nothing says Merry Christmas more than these cookies. You can feel good about giving your friends, family, or co-workers something that is both healthy and delicious this holiday season! Happy baking!
Makes 18-24 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup pistachios, unshelled and roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients; oats, flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
3. Combine wet ingredients; oil, applesauce, egg, and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
4. Fold in craisins and pistachios.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes.