For my Winter inspired salad I used seasonal produce including oranges and fennel and used raisins for a touch of sweetness. I also used farro for a hearty flavor and texture. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's a gluten free whole grain and can be used instead of rice or pasta in a variety of dishes. I just love the texture and nutty flavor it provides to this winter dish.
Winter Farro Salad with Orange Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup farro, uncooked
- 1/2 cup fennel, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup California Raisins
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
1. Cook farro according to package.
2. While farro is cooking, heat raisins in orange juice in a small sauce pan for 5-7 minutes to plump up the raisins then set aside.
3. For vinaigrette add all ingredients to a blender and mix until emulsified.
2. Once farro is cooked, drain and let cool. Then add in raisins, orange segments, almonds and spinach leaves. Then add in dressing. Toss to combine.
For more information about all-natural, no-sugar added California raisins , please visit www.loveyourraisins.com, or follow at www.facebook.com/californiaraisins, www.pinterest.com/calraisins, or www.twitter.com/caraisins.“By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Raisin Marketing Board and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”