Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

         One of my favorite parts of the spring and early summer is enjoying a nice slice of strawberry rhubarb pie. The strawberries add just enough sweetness to help cut the tart flavor from the rhubarb, and the combination of the two together can not be beaten. My mouth is salivating just thinking about it. Yummm.  When I saw rhubarb at the store this week I had to pick some up. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time or ingredients to make a pie. So instead I came up with an almost perfect substitution... Stawberry Rhubarb Sauce. 


           My Strawberry Rhubarb sauce was the perfect replacement. It is basically all the goodness of the pie filling, without the crust. And I promise you will not miss it once you taste a spoonful of this sauce. And even better, the sauce only contains four ingredients and takes a total of 20 minutes to prepare and cook. An all around winning recipe if you ask me!

     I have been adding the sauce to just about anything. In the morning, I have it with my yogurt and some granola. It is almost like eating dessert for breakfast but without all the guilt. The sauce would be great on top of pancakes, waffles, or toast as a substitute for jam. It even tastes amazing on oatmeal or as a topping for ice cream, which my hubby has been enjoying. You decide. The options are endless!



Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

Servings: 16 (1/4 cup per serving)

Ingredients
  • 1 pound strawberries
  • 1 pound rhubarb
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
Directions
1. Core strawberries and cut into quarters, then cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
2. Add strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice and honey into a large sauce pan. Cook on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking. (Makes about 4 cups)
3. Let cool then store in glass jars. *



*Sauce will thicken when cooled. Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for two weeks or in the freezer for 3 months. 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy and versatile! I would put on EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make this! Such a pretty color and looks delicious. I think I may just make it for my Memorial Day BBQ next weekend!

    ReplyDelete