Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Roasted Asparagus and Ricotta Crostini with Pea Pesto



       I've got another delicious appetizer for you that has spring written all over it! I am a huge fan of asparagus, and love that you can find it in just about any grocery store this time of year. Asparagus is packed with flavor and is a great source of vitamin K and folate. And at only 25 calories a serving, how can you say no?!
       Peas on the other hand, I could take them or leave them.  As a kid the only way I would eat peas was if they were frozen.  Today I am still picky when it comes to peas but have recently discovered pea pesto and may have been converted. I mean, add garlic and Parmesan cheese to anything and it will taste good! Peas are also a great source of protein, fiber and are packed with antioxidants.



    I used the pea pesto to make a quick crostini with ricotta and leftover roasted asparagus, and it was all done in 5 minutes or less!  The pea pesto was also great later used as a dressing mixed with roasted vegetables and to add color and flavor to a white pizza.

     Also, I have to thank my cousin Liz for giving me a food photography lesson and helping me take these awesome pictures. She is an extremely talented photographer and her work always amazes me! You should check her out at Purestyle Photography.




Roasted Asparagus and Ricotta Crostini with Pea Pesto

Makes about 4 servings ( 1 serving = 3 Crostini)

Ingredients
  • 12 asparagus stalks
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • 1 french baguette
  • 3/4 cup pea pesto (see recipe below)
  • 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
Pea Pesto:
  • 1 cup peas, thawed
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. For the pea pesto. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend on high until smooth. (Makes about 1 1/2 cups of pesto)
2. For the asparagus. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss asparagus in olive oil, salt, pepper then place on baking sheet. Roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool then cut each stalk into three equal pieces. 
3. Slice baguette into 1/2 inch pieces.  Lightly toast, then spread with 1 tablespoon of pea pesto, 1 tablespoon of ricotta, then top with asparagus. 



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! This screams spring! I love ricotta crostini and your additions to it look fab! Need to try pea pesto aspa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This crostini is exactly why I love spring produce- so fresh, vibrant and delicious! Gorgeous photos by the way :)

    ReplyDelete