The following day was rainy but perfect for spending in the kitchen, cooking up some of our favorite apple dishes. I decided on two of our favorites: apple crisp and applesauce. I made a few changes to the basic recipes for a healthy, fun twist!
Only 3 ingredients.. apples, apple cider or water, and cinnamon! The apples themselves are sweet enough, no sugar needed!
Boil apples with apple cider/water for 15 minutes until soft!
Keeping the skins on during cooking adds color, and nutrients to the applesauce! I used a colander to mash the apples and remove the apple skins and cores after cooking. If you don't have a colander remove the cores and skins before cooking and then mash the apples with a potato masher or food processor.
Once the applesauce is made, add cinnamon for added flavor. Homemade applesauce keeps 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator, or can be frozen to enjoy later.
1. Wash apples then cut apples into quarters (you do not need to peel or core apples).
2. Add cut apples and liquid to large pot. Boil apples on medium high for 15 minutes or until soft.
3. Once apples completely cooked let cool.
4. Add apple mixture to colander and mash apples to remove skins and apple cores.
5. Add cinnamon to applesauce and stir to combine.
For the apple mixture, first cut 4 apples into slices. For added color, flavor and fiber, keep the skins on the apples! Then toss the apple slices with lemon juice, or orange juice, and sugar. As for the topping, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon.
Cover the apple slices with the oatmeal mixture. Place the apple crisp in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until apples are soft.
Let apple crisp cool slightly, then serve with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt!
APPLE CRISP RECIPE
- 4 medium apples
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbso lemon juice or orange juice
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix apples with sugar and lemon juice then place apple mixture evenly on bottom of 11x7 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray
3. For the topping in a medium size bowl mix together the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Top apples with evenly with oat mixture.
4. Bake crisp for 45 minutes
5. Top with light vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt