Almond butter is a great alternative to peanut butter for people with a peanut allergy. It is also great for people who are just looking for something different to put on their toast in the morning. Almond butter is also a great source of protein and heart healthy fats, but unfortunately can be a bit pricey. One 16 ounce jar usually sells for around 10 dollars, which is almost three times the cost of regular peanut butter! I'll admit this is a definite turn off for me, so I was determined to find a solution and I think it's a good one....
Homemade almond butter. With just one ingredient, almonds, it's easy to make and tastes just as great as peanut butter. I purchased a 12-ounce bag of almonds at Target for about $5.30 and it ended up making over 16 ounces (2 cups) of almond butter for half the cost. I'm sold!
Here is my recipe for homemade almond butter....
- 12 ounces of Almonds, lightly salted and roasted
1. Add almonds to Ninja or food processor.
2. Process/blend almonds until it turns in to a powder. Then scrap the sides down using a spatula.
3. Continue processing almonds until it turns into a paste. Be patient, this may take up to 5 minutes!
4. Store almond butter in an air tight container, like a mason jar, and place in the refrigerator to prevent oil separation and to extend shelf life.
Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
Nutrition Information: 100 Calories, 9g fat, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein