Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Spicy Shrimp Tacos



     I came up with this recipe last fall, but have been holding out until the weather got better to share it.  Now that it finally feels like spring in Boston, it's about time! I came up with these delicious tacos in an attempt to make it on the big screen again. The Today show was just not enough! 

      My big dream in life has always been to be on the Food Network. I'll admit it: I am obsessed! Last fall I thought it may finally come true when I got an e-mail from the Food Network looking for home cooks.  I created a video, put together a few recipes (this shrimp dish was one!), and hit submit! A week later I found out I had made it to the next round and went to NYC for a casting call. Ahhh! The casting call was one of the most nerve racking things I have done. There was well over 100 people there, all prepared with delicious looking dishes to share with the casting agency. I was intimiated to say the least!



Here I am with my wonderful hubby waiting in line for the casting call!


And here I am with my shrimp tacos waiting to be interviewed !

      Sadly I never heard back after the interview, and am pretty sure  "All Star Academy"  on the Food Network is the show I was trying out for. Even though I didn't make it was a great experience and I'm glad I took my shot! It's inspired me to continue to to what I love, which is create delicious and healthy dishes to share with you all. And of course, there is always next season, right?! :)

      So back to the Shrimp Tacos! I am a huge fan of fish tacos, but restaurants versions typically come fried. So for a lighter version I used sauteed shrimp instead. To add some fresh flavors I made a mango salsa with tomatos, cabbage, and avocado, and for some heat I whipped up a low fat chipotle sauce. The sweetness from the mango and the heat from the chipotle work really well together. A perfect light spring/summer dish that only takes 20 minutes to make! 

Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Mayo and Mango Salsa

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Servings: 4

Ingredients

Creamy Chipotle Sauce
  • 1/3 cup light mayo
  • 1/2 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
  • 1-2 chipotle peppers
  • 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
Mango Salsa
  • 1 mango, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, finely dices
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped finely
  • 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
  • juice 1/2 lime
  • salt/pepper to taste
Shrimp
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions
1. For sauce. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
2. For salsa. Combine all ingredients, mix together and set aside.
3. For shrimp. Mix together chili powder, cumin, paprika, pepper, and salt then toss in shrimp and mix to evenly coat. Heat medium saute pan on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, add in shrimp. Cook shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from heat.
4. To make taco. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of chipotle mayo on half or corn tortilla, add on shrimp then mango salsa. Top with additional cilantro and lime for taste.


          


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. We do Fish tacos a lot and I cant wait to give this version a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tacos look awesome! So pretty and flavorful! You guys are such a cute couple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! Glad you like the tacos too!

      Delete