Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Taste of Iceland: Skyr

       The one food I can't go a day without has to be yogurt. Whether it's for breakfast, a snack, or in a recipe I find some way to incorporate it into my day. Greek yogurt has been my go to until a recent trip to Iceland opened my eyes to a new and maybe even healthier yogurt, Skyr.

         When I first arrived in Iceland it seemed like everyone I saw was eating this " my Skyr" yogurt. After getting my first taste and could see why it was so popular!  The yogurt reminded me of Greek yogurt but had a thicker consistency and higher protein content. After doing some research I found that " Skyr" is an Icelandic strained dairy product that has been a staple of Icelandic cuisine for over a thousand years. To make Skyr, skim milk is strained of most of its water content by using almost 3-4 times as much milk as regular yogurt. This straining process gives the yogurt its thick consistency and high protein content.  Skyr also contains less added sugar per serving (~ 11 grams) than regular (~25 grams) or Greek yogurt (~16 grams) . 

        After arriving back in the states I was definitely feeling Skyr and Iceland withdrawal.  But to my surprise, through a conversation with a cousin about my trip (and my new yogurt addiction), there is a US brand of Icelandic Style Yogurt called Siggi's. I was able to find it at my local Target and have found it to taste very much like the yogurt I had in Iceland!

Skyr can be a perfect fit into many peoples diet including:
-diabetics
-those who are lactose intolerant (lactose is taken out during the straining process)
-athletes
-those trying to loose weight, or cut back on calories/added sugars
-health nuts, like me!

So, for a little taste of Iceland and a healthier low sugar/low calorie yogurt option give Siggi's a try!
 
 
Stay tuned for more recipes using my new favorite yogurt!!..

No comments:

Post a Comment