Too cut back on the calories and added sugars, I used just enough honey for a touch of sweetness and to help bind the oats. One of these granola bars contains only 165 calories, which is the perfect amount for a snack! For an even lower calorie version you can replace half of the oats with special K or another low sugar cereal (i.e cheerios, corn flakes, bran cereal, rice crispies etc.)
Trail Mix Granola Bars
time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats (can replace 3/4 cup of oats with other low sugar cereal)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 Tbsp honey (can substitute with maple syrup or agave nectar)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (can substitute with almond butter)
1. Toast oats on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until oats are golden brown.
2. In a medium size bowl mix oats, cinnamon, almonds, and craisins together.
3. In a small sauce pan heat up peanut butter, honey, and vanilla stir until combined and smooth.
4. Pour peanut sauce over oat mixture and mix until combined.
6. Place granola mixture into lined baking dish and press down firmly with hands or spatula until mixture is evenly spread out.
(To extend shelf life, place container in freezer. Take out 10-20 minutes before eating to thaw. )