Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


            When I am on the go I always have healthy snacks with me.  As my husband can attest I am the first to complain when I get hungry. Having snacks on hand is key to preventing my hanger!
            One of my favorite snacks is my low calorie oatmeal cookies, I've spiced them up a bit for the season by using pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice. What makes these cookies so great is that they are portable and portion controlled. The secret ingredient in this recipe is the applesauce, which I used instead of oil to cut down the fat calories and also help moisten and bind the cookies. 
           These cookies also make for an easy breakfast, just enjoy on the go with a yogurt or a hard boiled egg and a piece of fruit!



Pumpkin Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Makes about 18 cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree 
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup applesauce, no added sugar
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix together oats, flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl mix together pumpkin, sugar and applesauce.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
5. Fold in cranberries.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

1 comment: